Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Another Update

So now its Tuesday afternooon. Still No power at home :(

They have power at work so my boss asked whoever could to come in so here I am! I went ahead and came in because we have a huge kitchen with a big screen TV so the kids hit the snack machine and are watching TV.

Still no idea when we'll have power at home but at least its not hot. We've been very blessed with the weather. Its been low 80's with very little humidity getting down to mid 50's at night so we can sleep with all the windows open and actually get a little cold at night. HUGE BLESSING. I can't imagine how horrible it would be if this cold front hadn't come in!! It would be SO humid and SO hot. Literally an inside sauna.

I took pictures mostly with my phone so once i have power at home I will upload them and post all my pictures.

Everyone keeps asking me if its as bad as it looks on TV. YES IT IS!! Acutally if you are IN IT its WORSE.

Just imagine waiting on line for 2 hours just to get a bag of ice, knowing that if you DON'T get it, you have to throw out even MORE food.

Sitting on the highway for 2 hours waiting to get a tank of gas hoping they still have some by the time you get there.

Driving around for hours (burning that precious gas) looking for ice & gas only to have them be OUT by the time you get there.

Cellphone service is spotty at best. So you are glued to your radio and text your friends with ice / gas information.

Is not fun people. Trust me YEAR SUPPLY!!

I really had no idea how much its affected me until about midnight last night an ex-boyfriend dropped by to check on me and see how we were and I had a complete break down. Guess I've been holding it all in to hide it from the kids but yeah ... worst experience of my life.

Once we're out of this and have time to collect myself I'll put together a list of MUST HAVES. And I expect EVERYONE OF YOU to go out and get EVERYTHING on this list!! lol

2 comments:

Karen said...

I just want you to know that I feel so famous. I keep telling everybody that my cousin lives in Houston and I'm getting exactly the reaction I crave. Thank you.

Alicia LaDuke said...

Amy Burkett!! Talk about a blast from the past. I see you still have a great sense of humor and are as witty as ever. Thanks for getting in touch, it has been...since highschool, crazy. I've been reading your blog and my prayers go out to you guys suffering from the aftermath of Ike. Your girls are beautiful. I was so sad to read that you lost a baby boy, I can't imagine how hard that would be. Well thanks for getting in touch, I'm going to read some more of your blog, you should have your own column:)
Alicia